I thought I'd try a different approach to the way I work and use a more involved process to see what happened. Since I've also decided to take a different approach to the final product I don't know how much I'll learn about how this process will affect my normal work. The difference in the final product is that I'm fulling painting this comic, which isn't something I've done in about 20 years. When I did my first comics at school Simon Bisley was god and painting comics was the only way to go. I soon found out that this was impossible for me and I reverted to plain old ink.
As for the process, I've spent more time on getting the thumbs right (perspective, proportion, etc) so that I could scale them up and trace them. More drawing was necessary but not much. Getting everything right on a small scale was fairly quick and then tracing just made getting all those great proprotions that you get in the thumbs could easily be replicated.
The thumbs are on an A5 sheet with some plain printing paper for all my perspective workings - horizons, right and left VPs, etc
The traced and elaborated pencils underneath.
A third of the way through the painted page. As can be seen more detail and a few changes here and there.
Normally I would have gone to ink but I went to paint (gouache) so I reckon I'll have to give this process another go (with ink) to see if I really like it. I'm not a fan of too much preparation - I like to get stuck right into the page - but maybe it's what I'm lacking.