The pages bellow are an unashamed copy of The Melting Pot By Eastman, Talbot and Bisley. Mostly Bisley. It is also the first comic I ever finished. I'd had such great plans before I did this (200 page epics that never got further than 3 pages) so at the end of 1996, after having completed my HSC, I locked myself in my room for 2 weeks and finished my first comic. A terribly teenage comic.
This was painted in oil. I'd tried acrylic but I couldn't get the luminosity that my heros seemed to get. At the end I thought bugger luminosity and went back to acrylic.
The image below is in acrylic and another unmasked Bisley copy but 2 years later. I've got better at form and using paint just not at being original.
In preparation for the page below I did a painting of a first order stormtrooper under red light from som red lit reference. I wasn't quite happy with the tone on the lefthand side of the helmet so I changed it... still not sure if I'm happy... I like the shoulder, though.
Some more Job Dunn work going on. Some process on display here.
I thought I'd try a different approach to the way I work and use a more involved process to see what happened. Since I've also decided to take a different approach to the final product I don't know how much I'll learn about how this process will affect my normal work. The difference in the final product is that I'm fulling painting this comic, which isn't something I've done in about 20 years. When I did my first comics at school Simon Bisley was god and painting comics was the only way to go. I soon found out that this was impossible for me and I reverted to plain old ink.
As for the process, I've spent more time on getting the thumbs right (perspective, proportion, etc) so that I could scale them up and trace them. More drawing was necessary but not much. Getting everything right on a small scale was fairly quick and then tracing just made getting all those great proprotions that you get in the thumbs could easily be replicated.
The thumbs are on an A5 sheet with some plain printing paper for all my perspective workings - horizons, right and left VPs, etc
The traced and elaborated pencils underneath.
A third of the way through the painted page. As can be seen more detail and a few changes here and there.
Normally I would have gone to ink but I went to paint (gouache) so I reckon I'll have to give this process another go (with ink) to see if I really like it. I'm not a fan of too much preparation - I like to get stuck right into the page - but maybe it's what I'm lacking.
Long time no post. I've been finishing off the illustration course I started last year called PAD. A pretty intense and rather fantastic course - all the things that I didn't learn at art school such as perspective and colour theory.
I'm working on my final projects now but here's a piece I did a few weeks ago.