Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Hammer Time

Many years ago (2003) I painted this image of Hammerstein from 2000AD.


I was very pleased at the time but very quickly started to see problems with it - too many to go into. I liked the pallet (the black/green background doesn't show up) and the lighting I had set up but I knew that I hadn't propperly acheived what I had set out to do.

This year I started a concept art class at St Leonards TAFE in Sydney called Production Art Department (which I sadly had to defer semester 2 of) where I was learning the necessary skills to make the painting I'd always intended. And so, here it is with some progress shots also.

First the ink drawing which i did in my sketch book, scanned and...


 printed out on some better paper. A base coat an some base colours:


Getting there:


Finished:


As my first gouache/acrylic painting in almost 10 years I'm quite pleased with it but I'm sure that very soon I'll see all the things wrong with it.





2 comments:

Bobby.N said...

That looks awesome, Tom!... really great stuff.

I've been looking at picking up a brush again after about 15yrs... but I'm taking longer than I ought. - B.

Tom Bonin said...

Cheers, Bobby! I've been frightened of the brush for a long time but now all I can think about is painting - which has its pros and cons. As with all these things it's about priorities, eh? Looking forward to what you come up with.